Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who is Urologist?

A Urologist is a doctor who specializes in treating urinary tract disorders in men, women, children and male and female sexual disfunction.

2. When should I see a Urologist?

One should consult a urologist when he or she has a medical condition affecting his or her urinary system or, if it is a man, his reproductive system. A man or woman should see a urologist if he or she experiences blood in urine; recurrent urinary tract infections; poor bladder control, including urine leakage; difficulty urinating; or if there is suspicion of kidney stones due to flank pain. A man should see a urologist for an annual prostate health check and if he has erectile dysfunction or desires a vasectomy.

3. What are the causes for frequent urination at night?

Frequent urination at night can be due to several reasons including the inability to store urine in the bladder, the inability to empty the bladder completely, lifestyle choices, the use of certain medications and urinary infection.

4. What are the symptoms of the presence of kidney stones?

While some kidney stones may not produce symptoms (known as "silent" stones), people who have kidney stones may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

  • Severe pain in the groin and thigh area.
  • Radiating back pain (sometimes aggravated during sneezing)
  • Back muscle tension (typically running vertically)
  • Frequent urge to urinate
  • Uncommon urine odor due to infection
  • Lower back pain while the stone(s) is moving in the ureter (tube between kidneys and bladder)
  • Burning sensation when urinating
  • Nausea, vomiting, chills and fever
  • Pyuria-pus and/or blood in the urine

5. what should I do if I have passed a stone in urine?

If you find a stone, bring it in to your doctor for analysis. The type of stone you have, will determine the diet and prevention programme your doctor recommends. You may need additional tests and X-ray in future to ensure that new stones do not form.

6. Does water help in flushing out the stones?

Water helps in the flushing out the stones. But fortunately not all stones, stones which are in the size range of 3-6 mm can be passed out with the increased in take of water.

7.My stone has not passed do I need surgery?

In general, you require surgical intervention if your stones are large enough to obstruct urine flow, if they are potentially harmful to your kidneys or if they are causing symptoms for which medication does not help.

Dr. G.Ravindra Varma M.S.,M.Ch.,(Uro) Bombay
D.N.B.(Genito_Urinary Surgery)
Fellow Urology (Singapore)

Urologist & Andrologist